How The Social Media Algorithms Actually Work
Have you ever wondered how algorithms work and why it seems impossible to beat them? Well, you’re in the right place. In this episode, I am going to demystify social media algorithms and explore why it’s challenging and impossible to outsmart them.
To understand social media algorithms, we need to first understand why they exist and what they are for.
Social media platforms, like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, rely on algorithms to curate and personalize the content we see in our feeds. These algorithms are complex mathematical formulas that determine what posts, videos, or ads are most likely to capture our attention and keep us engaged.
Social media algorithms are continuously learning and adapting. They’re designed to optimize user experience and maximize user retention. So, if you’re thinking about trying to “beat” these algorithms, it’s important to realize that they are built to stay one step ahead of YOU!
Social media platforms invest significant resources in research and development to refine their algorithms and combat spam, misinformation, and other forms of abuse. As a result, what worked yesterday may not work today. So, trying to stay ahead of the algorithm becomes an uphill battle.
Why you cannot beat the algorithms
This is why it can be challenging aka: impossible for you to “beat” or manipulate social media algorithms:
- Complexity and Opacity: Social media algorithms are highly complex and constantly evolving. The social media giants use sophisticated algorithms that consider various factors to determine what content to show users.
- Lack of Transparency: Social media platforms generally do not provide detailed insights into the workings of their algorithms. They may offer general guidelines, but the specific mechanisms and weightings are closely guarded secrets.
- Constant Adaptation: Social media platforms continuously update and refine their algorithms to improve user experience, combat spam, and address other concerns. This means that even if someone discovers a successful strategy for getting more visibility, it may not work for long.
- Scale and Competition: Social media platforms have millions or even billions of users, and the content being shared is vast. The algorithms have to handle an immense amount of data and prioritize content for each individual user.
- Ethical Considerations: Attempting to manipulate social media algorithms through deceptive practices or unethical means can have consequences. Platforms actively combat strategies like spamming, buying followers, or engaging in other manipulative behaviors. Violating platform rules and policies can lead to penalties such as account suspension, loss of reach, or even permanent bans.
If you want help with your marketing, I would suggest starting with a 2-hour exploration session so we can uncover the missed opportunities and gaps that are costing your business. You will find all the details at digitalconversations.com.au Or email me at email@example.com
Links & Resources
- Download the Social Free Sales PDF and get 7 ways to supercharge your sales right now: https://saleswithoutsocials.com.au/
Book an Exploration Session here: https://www.digitalconversations.com.au/exploration-session/
Did you enjoy this episode?
If you enjoyed this episode, I’d really love it if you can SUBSCRIBE. More subscribers help the podcast reach more people, and I would be truly grateful. Thank you for being awesome.